“In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.” (Psalm 5:3, NIV)
As I sat in my office glaring at my computer this afternoon as I so desperately tried to focus on sales numbers, sales reports, variance reports and other work related “stuff”, I caught a glimpse of a Bible hidden and tucked away on my bookshelf – not just any ordinary Bible, but the one I received from my church when I graduated high school. (And yep, it’s old and worn, so worn that the insides have totally separated away from the cover and no, you can’t guess how old.) Let’s just say old and leave it at that!
As I thumbed through it, this yellow stained piece of legal paper folded into four quarters with some not so lovely pink handwriting on it fell to the ground. As I opened the paper, I realized it had a date penned on it of 11/13/99 with the following scratched underneath it – Women of Faith Conference. (And no, I can only dream of graduating high school in 1999.)
And it was titled – Prayer for Me. It was a list of prayers that I had scribbled out during my first ever Women of Faith Conference in Kansas City! And I have no recollection of where the brown stain came from – I’m sure due to my clumsiness along the way and my love of coke products had something to do with it! I can’t remember which speaker challenged me with the list and I’m thinking maybe it was even God who prompted it. I just can’t remember.
So here’s the scribbled list:
1) Cause me to be what you want me to be
2) Fill me with your grace so that I can act as a child of yours
3) Change my heart to be like Christ’s
4) Cause me to be the same person in public as in private
5) Help me to seek you first
6) Help me not to neglect prayer
7) Are my motives pure? Give me pure motives
8) Reveal your will to me for me
9) Help me to persevere in my prayers
10) Help me to abandon myself to you
11) Help me to become intimately with you
12) Help me to fall in love with you, Jesus
13) Heal the bruises of my heart
14) Help me to live with open hands with you – to give you more of me
15) Make me aware – help me to confess
16) Make me transparent
17) Reveal to me what pleases you
18) Reveal to me my weaknesses in you
19) Make me a concerned stranger
20) Shine your word on my life
21) Use me as an instrument of your holiness
22) Make me a faithful steward of my resources, my time, my gifts & talents.
23) Make me generous
24) Use me as an instrument of your peace and righteousness
As I look back over the 13 year old list, I am amazed at how well the list still reflects the desires of my heart – add and take away one or two here and there. The big one to add would be for Jesus to teach me to love and serve others well – to love and serve others through His eyes and His heart. In short, give me a heart like yours.
So in closing, my prayer is this:
Lord, take this list and renew it in my mind and heart. Cause me to still seek and thirst after you. Cause me to love others and myself as you see and love us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.